Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fancy Tissues

We've established by now that I just can't help myself when it comes to projects, so naturally, during the week before the wedding, I decided to throw another one on my project list.

This time, it was fancy tissues.  Once upon a time I saw the fancy embroidered handkerchiefs that you can buy for parents as wedding gifts.  Something like this:


Now, Mama Goodlaff is a sap.  Always has been, always will be.  She cries at commercials--really, she does.  Years ago we used to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, and everytime the family came home to see the new house, she was in tears.  Knowing her as I do, I thought that she would be in need of a fancy handkerchief to blubber into on my wedding day, and I thought, "Hey, what the hell?  My embroidery skills are seriously lacking, but has incompetence or a lack of understanding of the scope of a project ever stopped me before?  No!"



And thus, the handkerchief embroidery project was born.  I broke out my how-to embroider book that I got for Christmas from Sister Goodlaff  (Embroidered Effects by Jenny Hart) and cast my mind back to the seven stitches I sat down to try before wedding land took over my life, and came up with a plan.  As lovely as the handkerchief above is, I knew there would be no way I could finish one handkerchief like that in time, let alone three (one for each mom: Mama Goodlaff, MIL Goodlaff, and SMIL Goodlaff), so I opted for simplicity.  A floral design and a name was about all I had time for.










The handkerchiefs came in a multi-pack from the only store around here, JCPenney's, and the embroidery floss I had sitting around from the days of yore when I used to make friendship bracelets. 

I wrapped each one up in a box with a see-through lid and handed them out to all our moms at our rehearsal dinner on Saturday.  They all seemed to love them, and I was incredibly pleased with how well they all turned out.  I love when last-minute projects cooperate!

Did you (or are you going to) do anything special for your mom(s)?

2 comments: