Monday, November 1, 2010

Pumpkins!

It's Election-eve, and I'm exhausted, but I couldn't help but sharing the awesome pumpkins we carved yesterday.

There are things that I love that don't whip Mr. Goodlaff into a tizzy.  Pumpkins are one of them.  I love pumpkins!  I think of them as a symbol of all the good things that come in the fall: cooler weather, sweaters, beautiful colors, my birthday.   Pumpkins are friendly (and orange, which is my favorite color!), too.

A few weeks ago, we went to Apple Hill in Camino, CA, to get (what else?) Apples!  It's a pretty awesome place where some farms will let you pick your own apples, and you can buy all kinds of fruit directly from the growers.  At Cardanini's Pumpkin Patch, you can go out into the field and pick your own pumpkin, right off the vine.  Some might call this pumpkin picking, but I think of it more as a pumpkin rescue mission.  They let you take a wagon into the field to gather your gourds, so we rolled out of there with six pumpkins.

Here's what we did with three of them:



Lest you think I'm more talented than I actually am, I'll tell you the secret: we used one of those pumpkin carving kits with the book of patterns attached.  That said, I'm still rather impressed with our carving skills. My favorite is the haunted house; it was awful to carve, but I love the way it turned out!

I hope you all had a happy and safe Halloween, and don't forget to vote tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment