Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In Which Miss Goodlaff Sticks Her Finger in Her Eye on Purpose


So, I wear glasses.  And you know what?  I love them.  I've had glasses since my senior year in high school, worn them consistently for the last four years, and I've never been one of those people that was in a hurry to get rid of the frames and switch to contacts. I don't want glasses that blend in with or disappear on my face--I figure if I have to wear them (and I do), they may as well make a statement.  

But on our wedding day, I don't want to wear my glasses.  I don't want to have big, thick frames in every picture.  I want classic, carefree, non-reflecting-glasses-lenses-in-pictures beauty. My first option is to not wear my glasses, but then I wouldn't be able to see Mr. Goodlaff as I'm walking down the aisle or anything else happening more than 10 feet away from me.  That plan's clearly out. 

What's left?


Contacts.

I can honestly say, I'm not really excited about this option, but since it will allow me to see clearly on our wedding day, I'm giving it a shot.

A few weeks ago, I had my annual vision test and talked to my doctor about contacts--it was an option for me, so I decided to go ahead with the possibly months-long fitting process.  This week, I had my first contact fitting, and it went about as well as you'd expect shoving a foreign object in your eye to go. It was uncomfortable, awkward, and slightly painful.  But it was also kinda cool.  I could see!  Without glasses.  It also felt just a little bit wrong.  The familiar weight of plastic on the bridge of my nose was missing, and every time I went to push my glasses up my nose, there was nothing there.  Wearing contact lenses, even if only for a few hours made me feel so unlike myself that a few hours after I got home, I took them out (took me ten minutes, but whatever) and swapped them back for my old glasses.

The doctor had me put the contacts in, take them out, then do it all over again. Let's just say, fifteenth time's the charm; I'm going to need a lot of practice before I get it right.  How often I'll actually wear them, I don't know, but I will have to use them enough to be well-practiced in the art of jabbing my finger into my eyeball by the time our wedding rolls around in three months. 

Is it "selling out" swapping my much-loved glasses for contacts on our wedding day?  Maybe. I feel completely naked without my glasses. But I also don't want to look back on my pictures and say, "what was I thinking wearing those heavy, emo frame glasses with my wedding dress?"

Did you drastically change your look for your wedding day?  What's your opinion on brides in glasses?

1 comment:

  1. At least you know at least 50% of your bridesmaids will have contact supplies on hand in case one of your lenses gets cold feet on the big day :)

    ReplyDelete