Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Don't Label Me!

Oh dear, I'm afraid that we're about to break some rules.  Mr. Goodlaff and I are going  to do the unthinkable: we're going to address our invitations using labels. 

Say it ain't so!

Apparently, this is a huge breach of etiquette.  Even though using labels to address invitations is becoming more common, it seems that people still feel strongly about it (the Weddingbee boards are full of people on both sides of the issue). Am I really supposed to hand-address each one of these envelopes? I get it--it's a personal touch.  But I don't have consistently neat handwriting; I don't know how to do calligraphy.   I also happen to like my cramp-free hand.

We could send them out to a calligrapher.  But what's the difference between me putting a label on versus paying someone else to write them all out? That personal touch of me addressing the envelope is gone either way.  One way just costs more. Our way is cheaper and easier (To be fair, I have to think of it this way.  Our budget has no room for a calligrapher, even if we wanted one!). 

Allow me to introduce you to our fancy printed labels courtesy of Microsoft Word's magical Mail Merge function:

Mail Merge, I heart you!


Not bad, eh?

Now, I wasn't always a Mail Merge fanatic.  In fact, a few years ago, I had no idea what it was.  But, oh, what a revelation!  The Mail Merge function will allow you to take a bunch of data and customize form letters, labels, emails, etc. Got one letter that has to go to three hundred people that needs each person's name on it?  Done.  Mailing labels for those letters to those three hundred people? No sweat.

Imagine taking a spreadsheet  full of guest data and sending it to your printer, along with your Save the Date file and having all the addresses printed directly on the cards with no fuss. Imagine taking that spreadsheet  and pressing a button and having labels made for you; just peel and stick and off into the mail they go. 

Did I mention it was magic?

Stick with me, and I'll show you how I did it.

Are you doing mailing labels for your invitations?

3 comments:

  1. mail merge away, it's easier and NO ONE CARES!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also planning to print labels for our stds and invites! I'm starting the STDs this week, so would appreciate any tips you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one will care - they just throw out the envelope anyways! The people that get hung up on things like this arent worth fussing about.

    ReplyDelete