Monday, December 6, 2010

Putting My "Wed" Face On

I'm not what you would call a makeup expert.  My morning routine consists of lotion, eyeliner, brow liner, mascara, and a bit of bronzer or blush (depends on my mood) for color; I'm usually done in about three minutes.  No fuss, just the basics.  On my wedding day, though, I want to look better than my best, which means a full face of makeup. 

Lately I've been watching a lot of Wedding Day Makeover on TLC and after seeing all the before and afters, I began kicking around the idea of getting my makeup done for the wedding.  I could just sit back and let someone else do the smoky eye or put on the blush--sounds good to me!  So, I started researching makeup artists in the area.  

Can you say highway robbery?  Holy crap!  I was shocked by the amount of money they want to charge for their services. I just can't see how it's worth $180 for someone to apply my eyeshadow (though, to be fair, this was the highest price I saw). I know that most of what you pay for is their expertise and time, but still...

Thus began the great Makeup Debate:

Can I do my own makeup? Yes.
Can I do it well enough for the Goodlaff Wedding?  I don't know. 
Do I want to pay that much to have my face done? No. 
Do I want to look like a five year old who got into her Mama's makeup kit and went to town? No.


Do I want to look like I'm ready to walk the red carpet? Yes.


Can I actually make myself look red-carpet worthy?  I don't know.
 
And then it starts all over again, and again, and again...

Because of this, I've been thinking about my options. 

Option number one: Learn how to do my own makeup for the wedding.  I'd have to practice--a lot.  It's certainly not impossible, but I'd need a great deal of help.  I could use online tutorials or take a class at my local community college (a few hours on a Saturday for about $60 bucks), but I probably wouldn't get consistent results.  What if my wedding day turns out to be an off-day?

Option number two: Have Sister Goodlaff, who is not too shabby with a blush brush, do the work for free.  She's the MOH.  I could make it part of her official duties--I like this plan! But we'd need to practice (a lot), and here's the problem:


There are, according to Google Maps, 444 miles between us.  Practice is hard when you have a 6-8 hour car trip between you and your possible makeup artist.  Hmmm...

Option number three: Suck it up and pay for the pros to do it.  I did find a few places that offered makeup application for less than $180 for the bride, so that's certainly not my only option, but I'd like to be able to get the entire Goodlaff Wedding Party gussied up, and I'll have to see if we can make room in the budget for that expense.  

What to do, what to do....

Are you getting your makeup professionally done on your wedding day, or are you going to do it yourself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment