Monday, December 13, 2010

You're Getting Married?!?!?!

The most common response when people find out you're getting married?  "So, tell me about the wedding..."

At this point, I turn into a shy middle school-er, bumbling my words and saying "um" more than any other word actually found in a real dictionary. "Um. Well, it's kinda, sorta, um, yeah...I mean, we're going for a...uh, yeah, you know..."  I realize this is not the typical bride's response, and that I should be able to describe, down to the last ribbon placement, the entirety of the wedding, reception, and beyond.

And I do have all of these decisions and plans made! I guess it's that I just don't really know where to start...  Do they want to hear about the dress? The table settings?  The ceremony? The venue?  The flowers?  The cake?  Is it better for people to walk away from me with their eyes glazed due to the sheer amount of details I've shared, or unsatisfied because I can't clearly explain my vision?

I should just carry my inspiration board around with me.  It would make life a lot easier, you know? "Want to know about my wedding? Here, look at this!"


Oh dear, you want sources now, don't you? (Somebody remind me never to do one of these again--tracking these links down took about an hour of my life that I'll never get back...)
Wine Glasses Bouquet Lighting Personal Photo

I suppose what we're going for is the equivalent of Audrey Hepburn showing up in a Betsey Johnson dress and Chuck Taylors--equal parts elegance and whimsy, tempered with casual-ity (yeah, I totally just made that word up).  Let's call it a slightly Mod, English (Indoor) garden party theme, with a willful disregard for some wedding traditions.

There, I've just defined the Goodlaff wedding! Still, I can't ignore the niggling voice in the back of my head: "What the hell are you talking about Miss Goodlaff?  You're just making crap up again, like you did on all those papers in college, aren't you?"

Yes, yes I am.

Have you had a hard time describing your wedding "theme" to others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment