Tuesday, November 23, 2010

I'm Sure the Turkey Will Thaw in the Oven....

Preparations for Thanksgiving have begun in the Goodlaff household!  A few weeks ago, I decided it would be nice to host Turkey Day here as we have 1. Never done it,  and 2. Once we move to Seattle, our apartment will probably be too small for all our family members to fit. Plus, we are adults, and that's what adults do: stress over cooking holiday meals.

Why did I decide this was a good idea?

We have procured more potatoes than will fit in any pot we own; stocked up on onions, herbs, chicken broth, butter, and cranberry jelly; have bought and named a turkey (it's a scientific fact that if you don't name the turkey he won't cook properly); and have begun figuring out how to fit more than four people at our tiny dining room table. Tomorrow I will cook one of the desserts (pumpkin cheesecake), and then we will frantically clean the house (at least the main floor) to make it shine so as not to be embarrassed in front of our mothers.

Mr. Goodlaff and I went to IKEA on Saturday and bought new plates and wineglasses to class up our table; we also bought a platter for the turkey(s) to sit on. I am mentally designing a table scape and setting places, and I have already created home-made wire napkin rings. 

With all of this, I'm sure I should be some form of panicked right now, and I'm sure the full force of what we're about to do will hit tomorrow and I'll be crying into the cheesecake batter because we forgot the ________________ (insert crucial Thanksgiving ingredient here), but right now, I'm pretty zen. 

So, though I've never cooked a turkey (by the way, his name is Jean-Paul Maurice le Dinde), and I've never made sweet potatoes, and this will be my first go at a cheesecake, I'm sure it will all turn out fine, and Thursday will bring nothing but tastiness. 

Here's hoping that you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving! 

May your turkeys be moist, your potatoes be perfectly mashed, your family be civil, and your reasons to be thankful many.

No comments:

Post a Comment