Monday, November 29, 2010

Something Borrowed, er, Rented...

The other night, Mr. Goodlaff and I were getting ready for bed when he asks me: "Does the whole 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' thing apply to me too?" I told him it was only a bride thing, and that as the groom he doesn't need to collect an item in each category like I do. 


If the tradition of something old, new, borrowed, blue was a game of bridal bingo (Find items in each category before you walk down the aisle!  Bonus points if you get a sixpence!), I'd be doing fairly well at this point. I have something new (wedding dress) and something blue (shoes!).  But I'm still working on "borrowed" and "old."


I stumbled across Adorn.com, where I could rent these beauties for the day:

I'm pretty sure that this would technically satisfy my "borrowed" category, though not in the true spirit of the old adage.  See, you're supposed to borrow something from a happily married friend or family member to foster your future happiness and remind you that you can rely on your friends in times of need (or so sayeth the all-knowing about.com), not from a company that is happy to take your money.

Technicalities aside, I'm still not 100% sold on renting wedding day jewelry. It seems like a great idea--a small fee ($75 for the earrings above) gets you glitters that you'd never actually be able to afford on your own for one of the most special days of your life. What I don't like: I'm not Angelina and the wedding aisle is no red carpet. Ultimately by renting the jewelry, I'd be on the hook for a $6,000 pair of earrings I could never afford. Plus, what if I fall in love with them? I have to give them back, and that would be a sad day.

I'm deferring the decision for now in the hopes that I may find something I like better (heh.).

As for the "Something Old" bit:
"But, I still don't know what I'll use for my 'something old'," I told Mr. Goodlaff.  Ever the helpful one, he pointed to himself and said I already had it (I think he's a little touchy about having turned 30 this year...).

Have you considered renting jewelry for your wedding day? What helped you make your decision one way or the other?

No comments:

Post a Comment