Friday, November 5, 2010

Palette Problems

I was never one of those girls that dreamt of every detail of my wedding.  I had a roommate in college who kept a wedding book; she would get bridal magazines and cut out inspiration pictures.  She had a whole binder, and I’m sure that if she still does this, when she gets married, she will have a huge jump on planning.  My freshman year, there were many late nights flipping through Modern Bride, and I briefly entertained the thought of a winter wedding with a fur cape and a bouquet of red poinsettias. I definitely didn’t have every detail set,  just waiting for the right guy to place at the altar (though lately I’m thinking this may have been the easier route…).

One of the most important things for me in this whole planning process is making sure that Mr. Goodlaff is involved.  The “It’s my day” mentality doesn’t work for me, because, even though I know I get special music and everyone’s attention as I walk down the aisle, the day I marry Mr. Goodlaff is OUR day.  He’s been consulted every step of the way.  Now, I’m not one of those girls who can’t make a decision about anything without asking her fiancé first, but it’s really important to me that he’s represented on one of the most important days of our lives. 
That said, Mr. Goodlaff is more of a big picture guy, and there are things he just doesn’t care about, and has let me run with, like blue wineglasses (more on that later).

Incorporating his ideas hasn't always been easy.  After we’d found a venue and set a date, we talked about wedding colors.  Mr. GL and I have very different color preferences; orange and yellow are my favorite colors, whereas he prefers deeper colors like forest green.  Knowing he would rather not have an orange wedding, I asked him what colors he liked. 
“Blue,” he said. “Or green.”

Blue and green?  I despaired for a moment.  I couldn’t imagine having a navy blue and forest green color palette. The fact that I’m not fan of pastels ruled out more options.  What would we do?

Then came the a-ha! moment: yellow! Yellow was the key to it all. Instead of navy, we chose cobalt blue, added lime green and yellow, and voila!  Color palette! 

Courtesy of my awesome Adobe Photoshop skills

If you couldn’t tell from my favorite colors, I’m not really a pastels kind of girl.  We wanted something fun and fresh and bright, and I think what we’ve picked totally fits the bill.  Cobalt and yellow will be the main colors, with the green thrown in for accent--I love it!

Once the colors fell into place, our wedding vision began to take shape, and it took only a few days for me to become one of those brides with a wedding scrapbook…
Up next: the craziness begins!

How did you begin the planning process?  Was your groom involved in the decision making?

No comments:

Post a Comment