Monday, March 21, 2011

How My Hair Flower Garden Does Grow...

Last Friday was a red letter day in the productivity department at Chez Goodlaff. I managed to, within the space of three hours, craft a new hair flower, make a rough draft of my veil, and finish my wedding day necklace.  I was like the Energizer Bunny of wedding crafts--and I liked it!

I have so, so much to share with you, but one thing at a time, eh?

If you've been paying attention, you're probably asking yourself, "Miss Goodlaff has made yet another hair flower?  When will it end?"

Right now, my friends, right now.  See, I've finally got it right. 

After finishing several of the chiffon hair flowers, first in blue, then in white, I still wasn't completely sold on the look.  The edges of my chiffon flowers frayed and made the overall look messy, instead of light and fluffy.  

I found myself looking at flowers like these:





Feathers, a bit of bling, and a little bit of movement equals perfection.  If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

I took one fake peony, and a fan of feathers:





I cut the pink off of the peony and separated out the layers.  When the first layer was down, I began to use hot glue and glued down feathers for accent:



Lather, rinse, repeat.  I added more layers of flower, and more feathers. When I was done, I needed a way to keep it in my hair, so I pulled a clip off of a feather bracelet I purchased for a past project and glued it down.


I was finally done, and I was thrilled!





I love how it came out, and I think it looks much more "professional" than my previous chiffon flowers.  I can't wait for my hair trial in April so I can see how it will look with my wedding day updo! 

Did you have to try, try again with any of your wedding accessories?


3 comments: